Special Needs Shelters
During a disaster, special needs shelters are designed to care for people who do not require hospitalization but have the following needs:
- Require oxygen therapy
- Unable to take medications or monitor vital signs without assistance
- Have chronic conditions requiring assistance with daily life activities
- Health/medical conditions requiring professional observation or assistance
- Health conditions that require isolation and cannot be in a public/general shelter
The caregiver of a person with special needs should accompany and remain with them at the Special Needs Shelter for the duration of the emergency event if this type of assistance normally is needed. In addition:
- You must bring your own medications and medical supplies.
- Bring your own bedding.
- Provide your own food if you are on a special diet.
- Patients requiring oxygen must bring their own supplies or arrange with their supplier to deliver oxygen to the shelter.
To register for the Special Needs Program, print and fill out the Special Needs Shelter Registration form and mail it to:
Florida Department of Health in Putnam County
ATTN: Nursing Director
Special Needs Registration
2801 Kennedy Street
Palatka, FL 32177