Tuberculosis Control Program
The purpose of the Tuberculosis Control Program is to:
- Identify and treat to cure all active cases of TB.
- Identify and test (also treat if indicated) all individuals exposed to an active TB case.
- Conduct TB surveillance activities.
- Provide education on TB disease.
What is Tuberculosis?
What are the Symptoms of TB?
Who Gets TB?
Anyone can get TB, but some people are at higher risk. Those at higher risk include:
- People who share the same breathing space (such as family members, friends, co-workers) with someone who has TB disease;
- Homeless people;
- Foreign-born people from countries where a lot of people have TB;
- Nursing home residents;
- Alcoholics and intravenous drug users (IVDUs)
- People with medical conditions such as diabetes, certain types of cancers, and being underweight.
- Especially people with HIV infection (the virus that causes AIDS)